Please complete the following form to join the APS School Health Advisory Board from 2020 to 2022. Any prior year memberships will be changed to email distribution list only unless you complete this form.
Parents, students, APS employees and community members are welcome to join. SHAB meets every other month (5 times per year) and members are expected to attend at least 3 in-person meetings. Full SHAB membership requires appointment by the School Board, so this form is your way of nominating yourself for School Board approval. Your appointment will be formalized at an upcoming School Board meeting.
If you wish to stay involved, but not as a Board-appointed member, you can:
1. Join a SHAB workgroup (also adds you to distribution list), OR
2. Request to be added to the SHAB communications distribution list.
Current SHAB priorities include:
1. Assisting schools with the Wellness Policy and Policy Implementation Procedures. They require each school to form a Wellness Council, conduct a standardized self-assessment, and report annually on wellness activities and progress.
2. School bus and automobile anti-idling campaigns around schools, and indoor air quality awareness in schools (use of fragrances, candles, etc).
3. Screentime/personal device use in schools and at home - health effects and healthy practices.
4. Promoting the APS Food Allergy Guidelines developed by SHAB.
5. Supporting farm to school and healthy eating initiatives.
6. Advising on the PE, family life, and health education curricula.
7. Addressing safety and security concerns in and around schools.
8. Advocating for healthy school start times.
9. Advocating for County funding to employ one nurse in every school.
Any health and wellness issues brought to SHAB by the members. These can include substance abuse, vaping/e-cigarettes, socio-emotional health, physical activity, etc.