Please complete the following form to join the APS School Health Advisory Board for the 2018-19 school year. Any prior year memberships will be cancelled unless you complete this form.
Parents, students, APS employees and community members are welcome to join. SHAB meets every other month (5 times per year) and members are expected to attend at least 2 in-person meetings.
Member information will be used to create an email distribution list for meeting announcements and news, and a membership roster for the School Board. SHAB membership requires appointment by the School Board, so this form entry is your way of nominating yourself for School Board approval. Your appointment will be formalized at an upcoming School Board meeting.
Priorities this school year include:
1. Assisting schools with the new Wellness Policy and Policy Implementation Procedures. They will require each school to form a Wellness Council, conduct a standardized self-assessment, and report annually on wellness activities and progress.
2. School bus and automobile anti-idling campaigns around schools, plus indoor air quality awareness in schools (use of fragrances, candles, etc).
3. Screentime/personal device use in schools - health effects and healthy practices.
4. Promoting the APS Food Allergy Guidelines developed by SHAB and supporting farm to school and healthy eating initiatives.
5. Advising on the PE and health education curriculum
Any health and wellness issues brought to SHAB by the members. These can include substance abuse, vaping/e-cigarettes, socio-emotional health, physical activity, etc.