NEW YORK CITY CENTER TEACHING ARTIST APPLICATION
- Job Title: Musical Theater & Dance Teaching Artists
- Job Classification: Part-time & Contracted positions
- Reports To: New York City Center Education & Community Engagement Staff
- Scheduling: Weekday flexbility for in-school programs and/or evenings and weekends for community programs
New York City Center has played a defining role in the cultural life of the city since 1943—making the best in the music, theater, and dance accessible to all audiences. Championed by a staff of passionate arts lovers, this commitment continues through celebrated dance and musical theater series including the Fall for Dance Festival, the Tony-honored Encores!, and the newest series Artists at the Center and City Center Dance Festival. The distinctive neo-Moorish theater in midtown Manhattan welcomes over 300,000 annual visitors to experience internationally acclaimed artists on the same stage that legends like George Balanchine, Leonard Bernstein, Barbara Cook, Martha Graham, and Paul Robeson made their mark. Home to a roster of renowned companies including Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater and Manhattan Theatre Club, City Center’s dynamic programming, art exhibitions, studio events, and master classes, are complemented by education and community engagement programs that bring the performing arts to over 11,000 New York City students, teachers, and families each year.
To learn more about New York City Center Education & Community Engagement programs, please visit https://www.nycitycenter.org/education/.
New York City Center seeks energetic, passionate teaching artists for a variety of disciplines to join our existing team to teach in schools and communities across New York City for the 2023-2024 season. Ideal candidates will have arts education teaching experience in NYC schools and/or communities, demonstrate mastery in the arts, and work well in a collaborative teaching team.
Education & Community Engagement programming is seeking multi-hyphenate artists in areas including:
- Music Direction
- Musical Theater Choreography
- Music Composition
- Dance (Global dance forms including but not limited to: Flamenco, Tap, Street Dance)
- Technical Theater & Theater Design
- Acting & Direction
Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Facilitate In-School and Virtual Workshops & Residencies
- In-School Workshops and Residencies typically range from 2-10 sessions
- Facilitate In-Person Workshops & Residencies for City Center’s growing Community Engagement programs
- Partner with teachers, community partners and other TAs to plan and develop curriculum
- Attend annual New York City Center Professional Development events
- Serve as a representative of City Center in NYC schools and communities
This Role Requires:
- Expertise in musical theater or dance
- Minimum of 3 years teaching experience
- Experience working in public schools and/or community settings
- Experience developing curriculum
- A flexible weekday schedule between 8am-3pm for in-school programs and/or flexibility for evenings and weekends for community programs
To be successful in this role, you will be expected to demonstrate:
- Ability to take ownership of assigned work and accountability for positive outcomes
- Strong collaborative and communication skills
- A flexible, “yes and” attitude that can adapt to different environments
- A passion for arts education
- Cultural responsiveness
- Multi-lingual, a plus
- Facilitation - $60-80 per class taught
- Planning for Multi-Week Residencies - $50 –60
- Meetings & Professional Development - $50
- Other wages vary based on work performed.
This is a part-time, contracted position. Work is offered on a needs basis, determined by partner registration and availability. Wage varies based upon assignment.